How the Boston Marathon Bombing was Covered Up by Media
— The Associated Press is reporting that a federal grand jury has not yet indicted the former head of the FBI’s Boston office, who was the lead investigator into the bombing of the Marathon in July 2013, in connection with the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks.
The AP reported that an FBI agent briefed on the investigation last month said that the grand jury had declined to bring charges.
The Associated Press reported Wednesday that the investigation is still ongoing, but that the agents told the AP they had “no reason to believe” that the former FBI official would be indicted.
FBI Director James Comey said in a televised news conference last month that the agency would continue to investigate the case.
The FBI, however, has declined to confirm the report, saying it had not yet been made public.
The AP first reported the FBI agent’s claim.
A former FBI agent told The Associated Presse in an email that the FBI agents were “not sure if the agent’s claims were correct, but he felt that the case would be closed if the agents did not come forward with additional information.”
The FBI did not immediately respond to a request for comment from The Associated Post.
The agent who briefed the AP said the agents had been informed of the pending indictment, but the AP is not aware of any information that could lead to any indictment.
The Boston Globe reported Wednesday, citing two sources, that Comey has been publicly warning the FBI to pursue charges against anyone who was in contact with or aided the Sept 1, 2013, attack on the Boston marathon.
Boston police said on Monday that they have found the remains of two of the three bombs found in the Marathon finish line, but they did not provide any further details about what led them to the site or who found them.
The Globe said that Boston police have searched the area near the site of the attack, which was heavily guarded and closed to the public, and that they are trying to find witnesses to the attack.
Authorities have previously said that they believe that Tsarnaev may have provided the weapons used to carry out the attack in a phone call to his brother, Tamerlan Tsarnaev, a resident of Cambridge, Massachusetts.
The former FBI officials told The AP that the indictment would likely be the first criminal case brought against a Boston resident, or a person who was present at the attack or at the scene of the bombing.
They also said the indictment could be used to prosecute the alleged bomber’s brother, who they said is not believed to be at large.
The bombing of a crowded Boston Marathon finish-line event in the early hours of Sept. 10, 2013 left three people dead and more than 260 others injured.
The FBI’s investigation into the attack was based on a massive trove of phone records from the phones of two men it believed were the Tsarnaev brothers.