Which game will be the best?
On Tuesday, the Electronic Arts, publisher of the popular massively multiplayer online game (MMOG) Battleborn, announced that it would not be releasing a sequel to the title until 2018.
The announcement came just weeks after EA made a series of moves to try and stave off cancellation rumors.
“We are committed to delivering a truly innovative and exciting Battleborn experience,” the company said at the time.
“We are excited to share more details on Battleborn 2.”EA is not the first major game publisher to announce a delay for a sequel, as other major studios have done the same.
Activision and Ubisoft recently delayed the release of their next big-name shooter, Titanfall, until 2017.
EA is not alone in being cautious about delaying a sequel.
“If EA wants to continue the momentum of the first game and the momentum from the original game, we need to know what we’re doing in the first place,” Chris Taylor, co-founder of Respawn Entertainment, told Bloomberg News last week.
“It’s going to be hard for us to tell them what to do.
We don’t want to put any pressure on them to do something.”
EA also announced a delay of its next big game, Star Wars Battlefront II, for the third time, and is reportedly aiming to release the game on November 1, 2018.EA has had a tough year in the gaming industry.
On the heels of the financial crisis, the publisher has faced numerous controversies, including the release and subsequent closure of several of its most popular franchises.